Why we love Fishtown
Fishtown is an ideal neighborhood for parents with young kids. Demographically, this is one of the hottest family neighborhoods in the area, so there is a growing list of kid-friendly venues, activities, and shopping.
Balancing the best of both worlds, Fishtown is also home to a strong artists and makers scene, so it’s a great spots for adults as well. The food and beverage selection is second to none, and the growing Frankford Ave commercial corridor is also making it a popular shopping destination.
Where to eat
There is really something for everyone in Fishtown. I could write for days on the food in this neighborhood, but I will spare you the ode and try to distill it to the best spots to hit if you are dining with kids:
- Frankford Hall: With Brats, Beer, and Pretzels, this laid back scene has a lovely beer garden and features family-friendly games like foozball, and ping pong. The staff are always incredibly cool with kids running around.
- Fette Sau: Awesome happy hour, excellent BBQ – perfect spot for the meat eating crowd
- Pizza Shackamaxon: Simple, delicious pizza at its best. By the slice or preorder a pie.
- Hajimaru Ramen: Excellent ramen, friendly staff. Not a huge space for kids but as accommodating as they were with our two year old, I am sure all kids feel welcome.
- Loco Pez: The best tacos in the city. Cash only. The space is almost always packed, but it is worth the wait and kids will have plenty of options to choose from, even if you have a picky eater in your crew.
- Castellinos: While not a restaurant, their sandwiches are amazing and a great pick up and go option if you want to take a meal to one of the local parks.
- Front Street Cafe: Great spot if you have vegetarians in your crew. They also have delicious smoothies, classic pub food, and an acai bowl that you will definitely go back for.
- Weckerlys Ice Cream: Locally sourced ah-ma-zing ice cream. Check their instagram for daily flavors.
- Smooth ‘N’ Pop: Artisanal popsicles that are delicious and affordable. Also the nicest people you will meet
- Whipped Bake Shop: This is your go-to cupcake spot.
- Cake Life: Pastries, pies, cakes, cookies. All good things.
- Igloo: Frozen yogurt + toppings. But the fun doesn’t stop there, they play throw back movies downstairs and pump the AC so its a go-to for beating the heat.
Listen, I’m a coffee snob. So trust me on these:
- Reanimator: Excellent for pour over
- Suraya: Lattes and pastries (also maybe the best dinner in the hood/city, but more of a date-night experience)
- La Colombe: Worth checking out their HQ location on Frankford Ave. Solid coffee, really good pastries too and plenty of room for a large group
Where to play
With green spaces and playgrounds all over the neighborhood, you don’t have to go too far to find a fun place to play:
- Penn Treaty Park: A recently updated playground in a huge outdoor space. Penn Treaty is the latest space in the Delaware River Waterfont Development project, it has a brand new bike and walking patch connecting it to the greater waterfront. Great space for picnics, views of the waterfront and regular fireworks shows.
- Shissler Rec Center: Excellent summer spot for outdoor play, with shaded playground and top notch splash pad. Pack a change of clothes/swim clothes!
- Fishtown Rec Center: This playground is getting a major facelift, opening July 2019.
- PlayArts: You can’t play outside every day. For indoor drop in play or classes, PlayArts has a beautiful open play area for the under 5 set.
- Fusion Philly: Open gym is a great way to burn off energy for kids if you are in town.